Getting Ready for School
How can parents help their child to get ready to start in Nursery or Reception?
Starting a new setting, a new class or school, is exciting and also often a bit daunting for young children. We have put together a few ideas of things you as parents can do to help your child to be confident and ready when they start at St Sidwells’.
We do understand that all children develop at different rates and are able to do some things more easily than others. The suggestions here are a guide and if your child is not yet ready to do one of things please know that this is not a problem and we will work with your child at their stage of development.
- Try eating new foods (we have fresh fruit or vegetables everyday at snack time)
- Drink from a cup, pour drinks from a jug
- Practise putting on and taking off your coat (Reception)
- Take off your shoes and put on your boots
- Use the toilet by yourself (Reception)
- Wash and dry your hands
- Count the nights until your first day in your new school