We want our pupils at St Sidwell's to learn English, so that:
- They can read fluently and with good understanding
- They develop the habit of reading widely and frequently both for pleasure and for information, including books from a range of cultures
- They develop a wide vocabulary and understanding of grammatical conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- They write clearly and coherently adapting language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- They use speaking and listening to learn, including debating, discussing and explaining their ideas to others
We use the Read Write Inc programme to ensure that our pupils make a fast start to learning to read.
You can find more information about this programme from this link:
We have developed a progression document for Early Reading to map the progress our pupils make with this vital learning.
Our progression for Reading from Early Years to Year 6 is shown in this document.
Our progression for Writing from Early Years to Year 6 is shown in this document.
Mrs Rice leads English in our school, from Nursery to Year 6.
Mrs Clarke leads on Early Reading in our school.